A serious question, after all
Something Rotten, by Jasper Fforde, has a lovely subplot in which Hamlet (yes, Prince of Denmark) is taken from his play into the real world. Anyone familiar with the character and with the experience of being in a coffee shop should appreciate this, even if it is set in an alternate universe:
“What will you have Hamlet?”
“What is there?”
“Espresso, mocha, latte, white mocha, hot chocolate, decaf, recaf, nocaf, somecaf, extracaf, Goliachino™...what’s the matter?”
Hamlet had started to tremble, a look of pain and helplessness on his face as he stared wide-eyed at the huge choice laid out in front of him.
“To espresso or to latte, that is the question,” he muttered, his free will evaporating rapidly. I had asked Hamlet for something he couldn’t easily supply: a decision. “Whether ‘tis tastier on the palate to choose white mocha over plain,” he continued in rapid gargle, “or to take a cup to go. Or a mug to stay, or extra cream, or have nothing, and by opposing the endless choice, end one’s heartache—”
“Hamlet!” I said sharply. “Cut it out!”
“To froth, to sprinkle, perchance to drink, and in that—”
“He’ll have a mocha with extra cream, please.”
Hamlet stopped abruptly once the burden of decision was taken from him.
“Sorry,” he said, rubbing his temples. “I don’t know what came over me. All of a sudden I had this overwhelming desire to talk for a very long time without actually doing anything. Is that normal?”
4 comments:
This is great! Can I link to this for my coffee-drinking blog friends?
Last week I was visiting my sister and she proudly displayed a T-shirt, special ordered from England, of the "Nursery Crime Division." Now this. Clearly I must hie me to a library.
Go ahead, Mama Squirrel!
Btw, QOC, "Something Rotten" is the fourth in the series.
I found you through the Mama Squirrel link. Thanks for the laugh. (And this is from a person who doesn't drink coffee. However, I have been known to dither at fast food places with menus that cover too much of the wall. :)
I haven't read any of the books in this series, but this definitely provides a temptation.
I've linked.
Post a Comment